How can we learn to be kinder? Is anybody really ordinary? What does it take to be great?
Complete teaching unit, including multiple assessment options, for Wonder (Stephen Chbosky, 2017), based upon RJ Palacio's 2012 internationally best-selling novel of the same name. The film focuses on Auggie Pullman, a boy born with a cranio-facial condition who begins middle school as a fifth grader after years of home-schooling, and faces the challenges of a life dictated by the way he looks.
This comprehensive Teacher Pack equips educators of middle school students (Years 5–9) with all that's needed to deliver high-quality learning experiences which unpack the key messages of this important film related to kindness, human connection and appreciating difference. Students will learn through a range of individual, pair, group and whole-class speaking/sharing/writing modes, with four assessment options provided to assess learning. Ideal for a curriculum-based inquiry approach or for Values Education/Pastoral Care program.
Contents (digital/editable/printable files ready for immediate download and use):
- Teacher Guide(24-page PDF)
Student Booklet(23-page PDF and DOCX)
- Unit overview
- Inquiry Questions
- Suggested Lesson Outline
- Teacher Answer Guide to Student Booklet
- Assessment Options
Teaching Presentation (24-slide PPTX and KEY [for macOS users])
- Pre-viewing activities
- Viewing activities
- Post-viewing activities
- Assessment Options (including information/templates):
- Group task: Kindness Project
- Individual task: Persuasive Speech
- Individual task: Nomination Speech
- Individual task: Narrative
Classroom Posters (2× PDF) – 'Choose Kind' and 'Your Deeds are Your Monuments'
- Discussion starters
- Background to film
- Pre-viewing, Viewing and Post-viewing resources
- Assessment preparation resources
Unit Duration: 15+ lessons (including four assessment task options)
The Teacher Pack can be linked to the following areas within the Australian Curriculum:
- Health and Physical Education (valuing diversity and promoting inclusivity, respectful relationships)
- Media Studies
- Science (as part of an integrated unit)
In addition, the pack relates directly to the following General Capabilities within the Australian Curriculum:
- Personal and Social Capability
- Ethical Understanding
- Critical and Creative Thinking
The film has a running time of 113 minutes and is classified PG. Please check your country's classification for this film prior to use with students.
- Digital/editable/printable files delivered in a single ZIP file (4× PDF, 1× DOCX, 1× PPTX, 1× KEY)
- Professionally designed by an experienced educator
- Highly visual and engaging
- Suited to all learners
- Crisp, clean layouts
- A range of whole class, group work and individual learning resources
There are no reviews yet.
Leave a Review