Powerful, important and timely.
This complete teaching unit, including four assessment options, focuses on the 2021 documentary series, Ms Represented, written, created and hosted by Annabel Crabb, and directed by Stamatia Maroupas. The highly-relevant series (comprised of four episodes) charts the achievements and challenges faced by women in Australian politics, from 1894 to today.
This comprehensive Teacher Pack – Ms Represented equips educators of secondary school students (Years 9-12) with all that's needed to deliver high-quality learning experiences related to both critical viewing of documentary texts and the experiences of Australian women in politics. Students will learn through a range of individual, group and whole-class speaking, viewing, and writing modes, culminating in either a feature article (three options suited to English, Humanities and Social Sciences or Media) or a collage drama performance (suited to English or Drama).
Contents (digital/editable/printable files ready for immediate download and use)
- Teacher Guide (25–page PDF)
Student Booklet (23–page PDF/DOCX formats)
- Unit overview
- Suggested Lesson Outline
- Teacher Answer Guide to Student Booklet
- Assessment Task options - Feature Article (three options – 1 & 2 suited to English or Media; 3 suited to Humanities and Social Sciences); Collage Drama (suited to English or Drama)
Teaching PowerPoint (24–slide PPTX for Windows users/24–slide Keynote presentation for macOS users)
- Pre-viewing activities
- Viewing activities–activities tailored for each of the four episodes; Women in Politics timeline
- Post-viewing activities
- Assessment Task: Feature Article or Collage Drama (including task options and feature article template)
Bonus Poster–Women in Australian Politics Timeline (A3 PDF for display/use)
- Discussion starter 1
- Representations in texts and Discussion starter 2
- Who is Annabel Crabb?
- Language and meaning – Discussion starter 3
- Documentary texts–styles and conventions
- Viewing and Post-viewing Activities
- Assessment – overview of three Feature Article task options and Collage Drama task option
- Unit duration: 16+ lessons (including assessment)
The Teacher Pack can be linked to the following areas within the Australian Curriculum:
- Media Studies
- Humanities and Social Sciences (Civics and Citizenship; History)
In addition, the Teacher Pack relates directly to the following General Capabilities within the Australian Curriculum:
- Personal and Social Capability
- Ethical Understanding
- Intercultural Understanding
- Critical and Creative Thinking
- Digital/editable/printable files delivered in a single zip file (2× PDF, 1× DOC, 1× PPTX, 1× KEY)
- Professionally designed by an experienced educator
- Highly visual and engaging
- Suited to all learners
- Crisp, clean layouts
- A range of whole class, group work and individual learning resources
Ms Represented is rated PG. Please check your country's rating prior to use with students.
There is additional advisory for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island viewers related to offensive language that may cause trauma. There are also images and voices of people who have died.
There are four episodes in the series:
• Episode 1 – 29 mins
• Episode 2 – 33 mins
• Episode 3 – 33 mins
• Episode 4 – 34 mins
Please note: Access to view the film is not included in the resource pack. The series is available at ABC iView.