Not Just Numbers is a one-hour documentary about the Tangentyere Women's Family Safety Group. They believe in talking straight about the violence in their communities and are working on the front line in prevention, an area that receives very little funding or support. So often reduced to statistics, these heroes have banded together to fight for their lives and the lives of their families. They want to be seen, not just counted.
This study guide is mainly aimed at mid to senior secondary school levels, with relevance within the class activities to the Cross-Curriculum Priority of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Cultures, within the Australian Curriculum. Drawing from this Cross-Curriculum there are interconnections between English; the Arts (Media Arts); Health, Family and Community; Society and Culture; Civics.
Key general topics arising from the film are: community well-being, building self-esteem, reaching out to the wider community, overcoming entrenched adversity; accepting and taking responsibility.
Not Just Numbers can be linked to the following subject areas within the Australian National Curriculum:
- The Arts: Media Arts
Not Just Numbers is also recommended as a supplementary text for studying the following Senior School subjects:
- Health and Human Development
Not Just Numbers may also be linked to the Australian National Curriculum General Capability of: Personal and Social Capability; Intercultural Understanding
Year 10 English curriculum content descriptions relevant to Not Just Numbers
- Create literary texts with a sustained 'voice', selecting and adapting appropriate text structures, literary devices, language, auditory and visual structures and features for a specific purpose and intended audience (ACELT1815)
- Analyse and evaluate how people, cultures, places, events, objects and concepts are represented in texts, including media texts, through language, structural and/or visual choices (ACELY1749)
Year 9 and 10 Media Arts curriculum content descriptions relevant to Not Just Numbers
- Manipulate media representations to identify and examine social and cultural values and beliefs, including those of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples (ACAMAM074)
Year 9 and 10 Civics curriculum content descriptions relevant to Not Just Numbers:
- The challenges to and ways of sustaining a resilient democracy and cohesive society (ACHCK094)
- Recognise and consider multiple perspectives and ambiguities, and use strategies to negotiate and resolve contentious issues (ACHCS099)
Year 9 and 10 Health and Physical Education curriculum content descriptions relevant to Not Just Numbers:
- Plan and evaluate new and creative interventions that promote their own and others’ connection to community and natural and built environments
- Critique behaviours and contextual factors that influence health and wellbeing of diverse communities (ACPPS098)
There are no reviews yet.
Leave a Review