This is a complete teaching unit, including assessment, for The Lorax (Chris Renaud, 2012), which is based upon Dr Seuss' original book of the same name. The unique animated children's film presents a powerful message about the importance of our trees and the natural world, and what we can do to protect them.
This comprehensive Teacher Pack equips educators of middle school students (Years 6–9) with all that's needed to deliver high-quality learning experiences which unpack the key messages of this important film, with outcomes focused on students creating a persuasive speech.
Contents (5 digital/editable/printable files ready for immediate download and use):
- Teacher Guide (23-page PDF)
- Unit overview
- Inquiry Questions
- Suggested Lesson Outline
- Teacher Answer Guide to Student Booklet
- Persuasive Speaking Assessment information (include sample script answer key)
- Extension activities
- Student Booklet (19-page PDF and DOCX [Suitable for Google Classroom])
- Pre-viewing activities
- During viewing activities
- Post-viewing activities
- Assessment task:Persuasive Speech (4 options) – elements of persuasion and persuasive language devices, structure and features of a persuasive speech, sample script and speech script template/scaffold, practising the speech, checklist
- Extension activities
- Teaching Presentation (21-slide PPTX and KEY [for macOS users])
- Discussion starters
- What is animated film?
- Pre-viewing, Viewing and Post-viewing resources (including links)
- Assessment Preparation – Persuasive Speaking – cognitive verb 'argue', elements of persuasion, persuasive speech structure, features and practising for presentation
Unit duration: 15+ lessons (including assessment)
The Teacher Pack can be linked to the following areas within the Australian Curriculum:
- Media Studies
- Science (Environmental Science) – as part of an integrated unit
- Humanities – as part of an integrated unit
- Values Education
In addition, the Teacher Pack relates directly to the Cross-curriculum Priority of Sustainability and to the following General Capabilities within the Australian Curriculum:
- Critical and Creative Thinking
- Personal and Social Capability
- Ethical Understanding
The film runs for 86 minutes and is classified G. Please check your country's classification for this film prior to use with students.
- Digital/editable/printable files delivered in a single ZIP file (2× PDFs, 1× DOCX, 1× PPTX, 1× KEY)
- Professionally designed by an experienced educator
- Highly visual and engaging
- Suited to all learners
- Crisp, clean layouts
- A range of whole class, group work and individual learning resources
There are no reviews yet.
Leave a Review